It’s The GREAT “Purge”!
OK, the time has come to PCS and you need to “purge” some of those items in your home. So… now what? Well, trust me when I tell you this is one of the many, many, many things I dread about PCSing. You have to go through EVERYTHING trying to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. The “purge” is something we all have to do… from the bathroom to the kitchen it’s just one of those things.
Here at Lost During My PCS, we try to help keep the stress off your shoulders, which is why we came up with “Purge” Party! What the heck is a “Purge” Party? It’s something that may sound a little odd, especially after those movies… don’t worry this has nothing to do with murder (unless you find a nasty spider hiding!). A “Purge” Party can actually be a lot of fun: add some finger foods, wine, music… and BAM! You are all set for a “purging” good time!
Here is what we suggest when planning a “Purge” Party:
- Turn on some music while you are going through all your stuff! Dancing it out is the best therapy. (I grab a glass of wine too… I mean this is a PCS after all.)
- Choose which room you are going to start with, do one room at a time, trust me trying to do too much will only cause you more stress.
- Only “Purge” what you truly do not want. If you have to honestly sit and think about it, odds are you still want it.
- When you are going through the rooms place all the items into a box labeled kids bedroom, parents bedroom, bathroom… This way at your “Purge” Party it will be super easy for your guests to find what they are looking for.
- If you’ve discovered some ancient treasures you forgot you even owned, chances are they will just wind up buried again at your next duty station anyway, you won’t miss them… just let them go!
- If you have a ton of books, board games, knick-knacks, toys, etc., you may want to just let them go as well. Books in particular can add a lot of extra weight to your move.
- Look through all your closets and decide if you really need all those towels and sheets. I could not believe how many sets of towels and sheets I had. We didn’t even own a twin bed anymore and I had been hauling around twin sheet sets for three PCSs… Good Gravy!
Bathroom: When you get to the bathroom, remember most moving companies contracted by the military will not move items such as:
- Liquid cleaning supplies
- Liquid toiletries
- Anything aerosol
- All those lotions we all love so much… ya, you may want to just take them with you in your POV.
- Liquid medicines
Kitchen: I always “Purge” the kitchen last, the reason being I will literally let my friends raid the fridge! After all, I can’t pack half a bottle of mayo… right!?! The moving companies contracted by the military will not move items from the kitchen such as:
- Liquid cleaning supplies
- Liquid soaps
- Perishable foods
- I will add the laundry soaps here as well if you have liquid soaps.
Just remember, there are always families PCSing in while you are PCSing out. They may have done a “Purge” Party themselves before they left, leaving them in need of some things you are getting rid of (like canned/packaged foods and cleaning supplies that wouldn’t travel). Don’t hesitate to ask your neighbors to come to your party. I didn’t even know some of our neighbors at Bragg, but I still invited them. I was surprised by how many people came, and Holy Bananas was I ever able to “Purge” so much stuff! Take it from me, you don’t want to be overweight on your next PCS, it’s not worth the extra $$$$! Keep that money in your pocket where it belongs.